If you have plans to study in Australia, the following article will guide on how to apply visa for Australia. With effective from July 1, 2016, certain changes have been made in student visa guidelines for Australia. A Simplified Student
Visa for AustraliaFramework (SSVF) has been laid.
According the new visa guidelines, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, the Australian Government, students who want to study in Australia, must apply for a visa under subclass 500 from the date of commencement.
Subclass 500 (Student’s visa)
Subclass 500 allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your education program for up to 5 years. Make sure that your visa is valid for the period and you comply with the conditions mentioned on your student visa.
Documents mandatory for student’s visa
- Confirmation of enrollment: To process your visa application, you need a copy of the electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (COE). It proves that you have been enrolled at an Australian college
- Immi account: Before you apply for the visa application, create an Immi account on the immigration website of Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): An OSHC health insurance covers basic medical and hospital insurance in Australia for students if required
- A legitimate Passport: A valid passport that stays valid during the stay in Australia
- Proof of temporary stay: When you apply for the visa, prove that you only plan to stay temporarily. A document from your current employer or similar from the home country might help
- Financial statements to support your stay: Prove that you can support your accommodation, tuition fee, expenses, food, return airfare, etc.through your financial statements
- Certified grade results and IELTS test: Document to prove proficiency in the English language test. You may choose from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson Tests for English (PTE)
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE): A GTE helps you to convince the officer that you only wish to travel to Australia for studies and no other purpose and will be back to the home country
- Statement of purpose (SOP): An elaborated essay to highlight the non-academic aspects of your career is called a statement of purpose (SOP). It draws the attention towards your overall personality and portrays your uniqueness briefly
- Nationality: Some personal documents to prove your nationality such as birth certificate, academic certificates, etc.
- Copy of fee receipt: A testimony to prove that you have submitted the visa application fee and aspire to take the process further
Make sure you have all the above-mentioned documents in digital format when you apply for a visa in Australia.
How to apply for a student’s visa?
According to the SSVF, students must apply for the visa online. Here’s how you can do it:
- Create or login to your Immi account on the Immigration website
- Complete the visa application form corresponding to the visa subclass 500
- Attach all the necessary documents. Login to your account often to keep a check on the progress of the same
- Note down your Transaction Reference Number (TRN) assigned. It allows you to track or manage the visa application. It also allows you to communicate with the visa center regarding the same
Reasons for visa rejection or denial
When you apply for visa approval, make sure you are loyal, honest and confident or else it may lead to visa rejection. Let’s learn some of the common reasons for visa denial
- Previous visa rejection history: If you have had a visa rejection history from Australia or any other country, be truthful about it and mention the exact reason for the same. It highlights your credibility and builds a stronger profile
- Insufficient funds: To pursue an education in Australia, you must be capable to support your accommodation, food, travel expenses, living, etc. Inability to do the same leads to denial of visa
- False or incorrect information: When fill the visa application form, cross-check every information. Any false or incorrect information may results in visa rejection
- Purpose of travel: When you apply for the visa, be specific about your purpose of travel. It convinces the officer that your only concern is to study and not utilizing their resources. In case you intend to work on a part-time basis, mention it clearly in your application
- Mention specific reason for the country’s preference: Since you have chosen to study MBBS in Australia, mention a specific reason for the preference. Focus on the fact that why you have chosen the mentioned university. It can either be because of the facilities offered or the faculty
Tips for Australian visa approval
If you plan to apply for a student Australian visa, here are a few tips that may help you ace your visa application. You may also use these tips if you are re-applying for the visa in case of visa rejection
- Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria: When you apply for a student Australian visa, read the requirements and eligibility criteria. For instance, financial stability, excellent grip on the English language, and the ability to meet certain achievements to be chosen in your preferred university, etc.
- Choose from CRICOS universities: Make sure you choose a university administered by the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Student (CRICOS). It ensures that you are visiting Australia for a legitimate purpose
- Chosen course meets the requirements for visa approval: Ensure that the course you have chosen matches the requirements of visa approval for. For instance, the course must be full-time and have a duration of at least three months
- Analyze the application process thoroughly: The application process for each institute may vary. It is advised that you analyze the application process before you apply
- Do not apply for a visa if you haven’t received COE: If you have applied visa for Australia without electronic COE, your visa application will be rejected
- Prepare for the personal interview: You must prepare for the personal interview. Good confidence and fluency are the key for the same. Also, read your application thoroughly; especially, statement of purpose (SOP), financial statements, why you chose Australia, etc.
You may also look for professional help to guide you in the right direction.
Educonabroad is one such stage that can help you with it. Contact counselors at Educon abroad for more information regarding a visa application for Australia.