Medical College guide,
After 10+2, if you are aiming for a medical entrance exam, don’t restrict yourself to studying to clear the exam. Such preparation is like hitting an arrow while being blindfold. The reason being, not deciding the right medical college you want to apply for doesn’t leave you with many options in the end. Unless you are fine with pursuing MBBS in any medical college.
A smart move in this direction would be deciding the right medical college and aiming for rank and score that gets you admitted. Most of the students have already planned their road map for the same. For instance, I wish to pursue MBBS in Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai, or study MBBS abroad country like USA, China, Ukraine. Doing so prepares your mind to score more or near to the previous year’s rank and score. It helps in accomplishing your dream goal.
If you haven’t decided on which college you should aim for or how to choose the right medical college, the following article will instruct you about it.
Understand the type of medical colleges and universities
- Government colleges and universities: They are administered by State or Central government
- Private colleges and universities: They are administered by private organizations
- Armed Force Medical Colleges: This premier medical institute offers training to undergraduates and postgraduates of MBBS and nursing students. For career prospects in defense services, this is the college you need to apply
Most of the aspiring students opt for Government colleges and universities because the fee structure is in a few thousand rupees. Whereas, in private colleges and universities, the fee may vary from Rs. 10 lakhs to Rs. 50 lakhs approx. If money isn’t the problem, feel free to apply for both Government as well as private depending upon the course and credibility of college.
Prepare a list of top medical colleges
Gather information and shortlist a few of the medical colleges. After shortlisting, the next step is visiting the shortlisted colleges. Don’t hesitate to do so as it is an important aspect of choosing the right medical college. Speak to the teachers, interact with students for insights, visit the library and other facilities offered by the colleges. It will help you get a clear idea regarding the final decision.
Analyze the admission criteria
Though most of the well-recognized medical colleges provide admission based on the medical entrance exam, there are a few medical colleges who provide admission based on the percentage you secured in 12th grade. Moreover, some colleges give weightage to extra-curricular activities like participating in NSS, NCC Camps as well as sports at the state or national level along with the entrance exam. Therefore, analysing all admission criteria, in the beginning, is useful.
Compare the cut-off from previous years
Yes, comparing cut-off based on All India Rank and score is necessary. Especially, for those who want to aim for a specific college or state like MBBS from DU or MBBS in Bangalore, respectively. You may visit cut-off trends at medical colleges in India.
Tips for choosing the right medical college guide
While deciding the right medical college, keep a few of these tips in mind
- Before you make the final decision, discuss it with your parents or well-wishers. They may have a negative review about college or a better option for your career
- Do not be impatient while making the decision. Take time to finalize the same as any hasty decision may affect your entire career
- Don’t be a follower. Since every person has their preferences when it comes to career, prioritize the same instead of following your friends
- Since it is a matter of your career, don’t go for any medical college. Choose a medical college approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI)